Crime in Progress
- To report a crime in progress, call 9-911 to contact the appropriate emergency responder. Follow the emergency responder's instructions. If you are instructed to contact the University Center building proctor, call 5-8901 or after hours contact the night manager at 5-8908. The emergency responder will handle notifying the appropriate individuals on campus, assess the situation, respond to the scene, and decide on a course of action.
- A person reporting a crime should not get involved in trying to prevent it unless it involves self-defense. Gather as much information as possible about the criminal. If at all possible, take the time to note height, weight, sex, race, age, clothing, vehicles involved, and if the individual is armed or not.
- Call an MSC senior staff member (see Staff Chain of Notification) who will coordinate efforts with the building proctor and emergency responder.
- In accordance with System Policy 34.07 Crisis Management, "protection of human life and health is of the utmost importance". If funds are on the premises and the situation presents itself, the senior-most manager of the area shall either lock the vault or lock the cash register and retain the key on their person. Unlocked cash drawers shall be left as-is unless the senior-most manager makes a judgment call that, due to the situation, the cash drawers can be pulled and secured in the vault.
- University Center staff and/or appropriate emergency responder will indicate when the situation is resolved. The senior-most manager shall assess the activity that occurred in the area. All cash funds shall be counted and verified.
- Follow-up communication regarding the incident should be furnished immediately to your supervisor and an incident report form should be completed and submitted to the applicable Associate Director no more than two days following the occurrence.