Responding to Fire Alarm
- To report a fire alarm sounding in the area, call the University Center building proctor at 5-8901 or after hours contact the night manager at 5-8908. The building proctor will assess the situation and decide on an immediate course of action and, if needed, contact the appropriate emergency responder.
- The University Center building proctor, in conjunction with the appropriate emergency responder, will assess the situation and decide any further action.
- Call an MSC senior staff member (see Staff Chain of Notification) who will coordinate efforts with the building proctor and emergency responder.
- If evacuation is requested by the building proctor or UPD, the appropriate means of notification will be employed, including making announcements over the P.A. system, and walking through the area to request individuals leave the area (see Evacuation for gathering location).
- In accordance with System Policy 34.07 Crisis Management, "protection of human life and health is of the utmost importance". If funds are on the premises, the senior-most manager of the area shall either lock the vault or lock the cash register and retain the key on their person. Unlocked cash drawers shall be left as-is unless the senior-most manager makes a judgment call that due to the situation, the cash drawers can be pulled and secured in the vault. The area personnel should assist the evacuation of patrons and lock all doors as they depart the area.
- University Center staff and/or appropriate emergency responder will indicate when entry back into the building is approved. The senior-most manager shall be the first person to return to the area to assess the activity that occurred in the area during the evacuation. All cash funds shall be counted and verified.
- Follow-up communication regarding the incident should be furnished immediately to your supervisor and an incident report form should be completed and submitted to the applicable Associate Director no more than two days following the occurrence.