Severe Weather (i.e. Tornado, Flood)
- To report a weather emergency (i.e., tornado and flood), call the University Center building proctor at 5-8901 or, after hours contact the night manager at 5-8908. The building proctor will handle notifying the appropriate individuals on campus, assess the situation and decide on a course of action.
- If relocation is requested by the building proctor or UPD, the appropriate means of notification will be employed, including making announcements over the P.A. system, and walking through the area to request individuals leave the area. Relocation for a tornado will be to the MSC Basement or as directed by University Center staff in charge. Relocation for a flood will be to the MSC second level or as directed by University Center staff in charge.
- Call an MSC senior staff member (see Staff Chain of Notification) who will coordinate efforts with the building proctor and emergency responder.
- In accordance with System Policy 34.07 Crisis Management, "protection of human life and health is of the utmost importance". If funds are on the premises, the senior-most manager of the area shall either lock the vault or lock the cash register and retain the key on their person. Unlocked cash drawers shall be left as-is unless the senior-most manager makes a judgment call that, due to the situation, the cash drawers can be pulled and secured in the vault. The area personnel should assist the relocation of patrons and lock all doors as they depart the area.
- University Center staff and/or appropriate emergency responder will indicate when entry back into the area is approved. The senior-most manager shall be the first person to return to the area to assess the activity that occurred in the area during the relocation. All cash funds shall be counted and verified
- Follow-up communication regarding the incident should be furnished immediately to your supervisor and an incident report form should be completed and submitted to the applicable Associate Director no more than two days following the occurrence.
- In the event of any dangerous weather conditions, staff members may tune into local broadcasting agencies to follow safety precautions:
|Local TV stations
||Channel 3 KBTX, 846-7777|
|Local Radio stations
||KKYS 104.7 FM, 846-5597|
KAGG 96.1 FM, 268-9696
KAGC 1600 AM, 845-5923
WTAW 1610 AM, 846-1150
||NOAA Weather Radio, www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/|
Weather Channel, www.weather.com
- After a weather emergency, take the following precautions:
- Clean up spilled medicines, bleaches, gasoline, or other flammable liquids immediately. Leave the building if you smell gas or chemical fumes.
- Inspect the utilities in the damaged facility - check for gas leaks, electrical system damage, and sewage and water line damage. If you find damage, call Physical Plant at 845-4311.