Promotional Web Images
Images such as the one on the right sidebar of this page promote events and services offered by the Memorial Student Center. The images are automatically displayed on many MSC web pages using a partially random selection process. MSC committees may submit images for possible use in this system. Images should be submitted at least two weeks before the start of promotion for each event and at least one month before the start of the event.
Images on the www.msc.tamu.edu web site
MSC Marketing has final authority for deciding if and when a submitted image will be used in the www.msc.tamu.edu domain. Images ready for use in this system must meet the following criteria.
Images on the boxoffice.tamu.edu web site
- Image must be for an event intended for a public audience that has been defined within the MSC Events Management system. (Image will not be displayed until the event has been approved and marked for publicity within the MSC Events Management system.) Image will only be shown while it is meaningful to promote attendance. For example, if a program has a registration deadline two weeks before the program, the image will not be used after the registration deadline.
- Image size must be exactly 400x400 or 180x180 pixels. Images of both sizes may be submitted.
- Image must have a 1-pixel white border on all four edges.
- Since MSC Web Guidelines require total home page size (including images) to be less than 150K, all 400x400 images must be less than 45K and 180x180 images must be less than 15K. This may require changing image color depth from "16.7 million colors" (32 bit) to "32768 colors" (16 bit).
- Image should be designed with minimal text. The purpose of the graphic is to attract someone's attention and link them to a relevant information page, not to communicate all program information up front.
- Such decisions may consider such issues as the relevance of the program to the web site's public audience, quality of the image as a marketing tool, and establishment of a start date for display.
If MSC Marketing determines that an image is unsuitable for use, they may request either another finished image or the original graphic material to design an alternate image. Original graphic material does not need to meet the above requirements, but must be of sufficient resolution for use in the finished format. The MSC Web Team (with representation of MSC Marketing and MSC Computer Operations) will work with the committee to design a suitable image if time permits.
The MSC Box Office Manager has final authority for deciding if and when a submitted image will be used in the boxoffice.tamu.edu domain. Images ready for use in this system must meet similar criteria as above with the following differences.
The following specifications are preliminary and are subject to change as the new Box Office web site design is finalized.
Partially random selection process
- Image must be for an event intended for a public audience with tickets on sale through the MSC Box Office. (Images will only be displayed while tickets are on sale for the event.)
- Image size must be exactly 200x200 pixels or 450-pixel-width by up to 360- pixel height.
- There is no border requirement.
In addition to generation of a random number, the "partially random selection process" used to select images for a specific page may consider several factors including proximity of the event start date, recent history of displayed images, and relevance to the page on which it will be displayed.